Special guest Rachel Monroe tells Mike and Sarah what’s really behind the phrase “drinking the Kool-Aid.” Digressions include David Koresh, East Germany and how flower children were the first millennials. Mike inadvertently reveals his prejudice against extroverts.
For more of Rachel’s work, check out her website. Recently she’s written about #vanlife, a romance scammer, essential oils and the kidnapping of a Navajo girl. Her book on women, true crime and obsession comes out next year.
- “Escape from Jonestown: https://longreads.com/2014/11/12/escape-from-jonestown/
- Rolling Stone’s 1979 article on the origin and aftermath of the massacre: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/in-the-valley-of-the-shadow-of-death-guyana-after-the-jonestown-massacre-19790125
- Interviews with Jonestown survivors from 2014: https://hazlitt.net/longreads/how-did-happen-and-how-did-i-not-see-it-coming
- “One Family’s Secret History of the Jonestown Massacre”: http://www.laweekly.com/news/from-silver-lake-to-suicide-one-familys-secret-history-of-the-jonestown-massacre-2156594
- And finally, the baby preacher! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zALqMWimBbM
One response to “The Jonestown Massacre”
I read about it in the brilliant “Wild Coast” by John Gimlette… Thanks for the links!