“He’s been punished even more than the American prison system can aspire to punish anyone”: Mike tells Sarah how John Walker Lindh became a terrorist in the media, a freedom fighter in his own mind and something between the two in reality. Digressions include “Newsies,” Bruce Willis and “Candide.” Sarah sneakily reveals her lifelong affection for Howard Stern.
- Moving Guardian article by Lindh’s father
- New Yorker article describing how the evidence against Lindh fell apart
- Lindh’s TV interview from the hospital
- Lindh’s indictment
- Time’s 2003 article “The Making Of John Walker Lindh”
- 2006 profile of Lindh in prison