“Humans aren’t good at remembering what got us where we are.” Mike tells Sarah how a turning point in the gay rights movement became an immediate controversy, a lasting inspiration and a never-ending debate. Digressions include “Newsies” (of course), “True Romance” and “Norma Rae.” Mike’s creaking chair and Sarah’s rustling blanket-fort are heard throughout.
- Historian Eric Gonzaba’s wonderful LGBTQ T-Shirt Archive
- Historian Hugh Ryan’s delightful book and fascinating article on the misconceptions surrounding Stonewall
- Mark Segal’s dayjob and important book
- The Making of the Stonewall Myth
- Funny NYT video about the ongoing disagreement about who threw the first brick
- “The Night They Raided Stonewall,” a terrific 1993 article about the raids by Martin Duberman
- “Pay It No Mind: The Life and Times of Marsha P. Johnson”