“Isn’t it amazing how we can only imagine our monsters capitalistically?” Mike tells Sarah how police, prosecutors and journalists accidentally conspired to invent the perfect suburban menace. Digressions include IKEA, the “Godfather” trilogy and Fleetwood Mac. Mike takes big gulping breaths when he reads out loud.
- Fabulous summary of all the studies that have debunked gang myths
- “Systemic Racial Bias and RICO’s Application to Criminal Street and Prison Gangs”
- “Myths and Realities of Youth Gangs”
- “Menacing or Mimicking? Realities of Youth Gangs”
- Terrific study of the gangs moral panic in Nevada
- Hilarious gang statistics from 1994
- Abysmal 1993 Newsweek article entrenching gang myths for suburban readers
- Nice Slate article on how the city’s gang crackdown in the 1990s led to the elevated murder rate today
- Law review article on California’s 2001 gang prohibitions
- “The Jets and Sharks Are Dead: State Statutory Responses to Criminal Street Gangs”
You must be logged in to post a comment.