Mike tells Sarah about a dying industry, a dangerous car and the acclaimed article that misrepresented them both. Digressions include “Mission Impossible,” “Friday the 13th” and the naming conventions of academic articles. This episode contains a larger-than-usual number of dad jokes and a shocking revelation about Johnny Carson.
- Mother Jones’ 1977 “Pinto Madness” article
- David Halberstam’s “The Reckoning: Ford, Nissan, and the Decline of American Industry”
- Gary Schwartz’s “The Myth of the Ford Pinto”
- ”’Pinto “Madness” as a Flawed Landmark Narrative: An Organizational and Network Analysis”
- ”The Ford Pinto Case and the Development of Auto Safety Regulations, 1893-1978”
- ”Ethics: An Alternative Account of the Ford Pinto Case”