Mike tells Sarah how an obscure technical glitch became a nationwide mobilization. Digressions include Twitter beefs, “The Net” and VHS pricing. We spend much of the episode roasting our own work from the relatively recent past.
CORRECTION: It seems the women in Britain didn’t terminate their pregnancies due to the false positive test results. We were wrong about this and we’re sorry!
- “Distributing liability: the legal and political battles of Y2K” by Dylan Mulvin, the researcher Mike interviewed for this episode. Thanks Dylan!
- The oral history of the Y2K bug
- How Our Response to Y2K Reveals What We’ll Do About Global Warming and Swine Flu
- “A precautionary tale: Y2K and the politics of foresight”
- “Y2K: The good, the bad and the crazy”
- “The Y2K scare: Causes, Costs and Cures”
- “The Emperor’s New Computers: Y2K (Re)Visited”